guttering/fascia repair...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im helping out a friend on a property he's just purchased. Our fisrt problem is resolving a leak in the kitchen.

I have attached 2 photo's here.

Photo 1 of the roof shows a previos repair - anybody know what type of reoair this is and if as a precaution i can just re seal?

Second photo Shows the damaged fascia. This is directley behind where the leak is and as the gutters arn't great and in need of attention were 99% sure this is where the leak is coming from. Is it just a case of making good the gutters, removing damaged fascias and replacing with new? are plastic fascias better/easier to use than wooden?

Any advice is apprecited.

Matt View media item 62384 View media item 62385

Sponsored Links
1. Your pics wont expand, so its difficult (for me) to see the detail.

2. Sort the pics out please, and post some more showing a larger area of the roof.

3. Plastic fascia is commonly used nowadays. Remove the old fascia.

4. Remove the old guttering, and hopper head, and RWP and replace with black plastic rainwater goods.

Looks like the HH is collecting from a wash hand basin somewhere.....love the colour!
When the old facia comes off, expect some rot at the end of the rafters and you'll probably see where the water has been coming in.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the replys so far, I have tried to add bigger pics in and i just can't get it to work - aplogies for that, im just following how it says to add on the site and thats all thats heppening.

Anyway, back to my orig post, from the (poor quaility) photo the patch repair to the roof seems ok - to ensure it lasts a little longer would painting it with roof/waterproof paint/sealer be a good idea?

Secondly, is replacing the fascias as easy as just removing the gutters, re fitting the boards and then the guttering? or is there more to this?

If its going to more tecnical than this i'd ask my friend to call in a roofing/guttering firm, but funds are really tight and for the time being we would like to do what we can ourselves.

There are tenant moving in Monday and ive been asked to ensure its all ready for them.

View media item 62520 View media item 62522 View media item 62385

From the information you've provided on this thread, and from your previous post on ladder work, i get the idea that you could be at risk at height.

Being willing is not enough, roof work requires experience because its unforgiving.

For whatever my two cents is worth, perhaps you should get a builder or roofer in to do the job.

Fascia is knackered, easy enough but depends how poorly the rafter feet are, which is where u will be fixing.
The whole roof looks had it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back