gutters off, any thoughts?

dg9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any thoughts anyone has on the following guttering problem would be most appreciated:

the heavy snow has played a role in pulling down the guttering - however, it is a new build property and so any advice on what to look for with respect to difficulties with the original workmanship would be greatefully received.

The roof itself

Some of the bits of guttering that have come off:

I would add that none of the guttering has come off as a result of the support clips breaking, but as a result of the screws coming out from the fascia.

As far as i can see, most support clips have had two screws in them; with only one having one. (The guttering would seem to be Hepworth ClickFit Half Round - i haven't found their guidance with regards to this.).

Also - i'm not so knowledgable with regards to the fascia - is the fascia merely the plastic outermost part on the side of the roof - and is it normal for the support clips to merely be attached to this (as would be indicated by the bits of white plastic that have been torn off).

Any pointers would be great - thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
...not screwed into end of timber rafter.

Andy

This is the theoretical view but we all know that no fascia fitter looks to see where the rafter is behind and, besides, you can't put a bracket there anyway because the head of the polypin/polynail would obstruct the flat seating of the bracket.

It's difficult to see how the brackets were spaced but the reason for your problem is pure and simple a cheap PVCu fascia. The cheap ones like Kestrel and BCE have more air in them than foam hence the screw pulling out with the foam attached.

dg9 unfortunately it's just bad luck that this has happened but luckily nothing seems to have broken so you can put it all back together again. Perhaps use all three holes up when screwing back on with a chunky screw. Place the brackets where the old ones were so you cover the missing chunks.

• Thanks
Reactions: dg9

Andy

This is the theoretical view but we all know that no fascia fitter looks to see where the rafter is behind and, besides, you can't put a bracket there anyway because the head of the polypin/polynail would obstruct the flat seating of the bracket.

The OP could always remove any polypin and place the bracket onto the rafter, that's if they have fixed to every rafter.

Andy

• Thanks
Sponsored Links

Andy

The OP could always remove any polypin and place the bracket onto the rafter, that's if they have fixed to every rafter.

Andy

Yeah, I suppose he could bust the plastic head off the pin to give a smooth flat fitting of the bracket. Assumed it was direct replacement fascia onto the rafters. Mind you these days they get the sparky to fit the fascias on newbuilds anything could be possible :mrgreen:

• Thanks
thanks everyone for the replies

dg9 unfortunately it's just bad luck that this has happened but luckily nothing seems to have broken so you can put it all back together again.

The one difficulty is that the guttering has cracked a pvc window cill and there's a random cracked tile .... so i'm keen to see if i can come up with something to try and have the builders look at it ... they are still on site anyway.

again - thanks everyone

No probs. bear in mind to change a window cill the whole window has to be removed. What a pain all this is for your new home :(

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back