Replacing cast guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our gutters look to be pretty well useless now, probably around 50 years old and practically every joint is leaking with several cracked.

I climbed up and took a look the other day, and notice the hooks supporting the gutters go underneath the roof tiles. Are these called rhone hooks? There's also these metal clips across the top of the gutter every so often, which appear to prevent the gutter spreading out over.

What I'm wondering is, would I be able to take off my old cast gutters and drainpipes, and replace them with plastic ones using the same hooks and clips already there?

Sponsored Links
There's also these metal clips across the top of the gutter every so often, which appear to prevent the gutter spreading out over.

What I'm wondering is, would I be able to take off my old cast gutters and drainpipes, and replace them with plastic ones using the same hooks and clips already there?
in short - no . those metal clips you mention aren`t found on cast iron gutters , maybe you`ve got sheet steel ones :confused:

There's also these metal clips across the top of the gutter every so often, which appear to prevent the gutter spreading out over.

in short - no . those metal clips you mention aren`t found on cast iron gutters , maybe you`ve got sheet steel ones :confused:

So either way, using those existing hooks is a no no?

Sponsored Links
is there a fascia? if so just snap off the old brackets and buy brackets for the plastic ones

Polypipe RR112 gutter brackets ;) and polypipe plastic gutter. :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back