How to remove Cast Iron Guttering supports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has gutter supports that are attached to the roof timbers under the slates (cast iron gutters). I want to fit new plastic guttering and need to get rid of the existing hangers as I want to fit everything as new instead of just fitting the new guttering into the old supports. Is cutting them off with a grinder as close as possible to the fascia the only option or would it be reasonably easy to expose the hangers under the slates and cut them off.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
And there was me thinking that this forum had loads of experts on it. Can't anyone answer my question? Come on, please help me out guys.

There is a fire risk with grinding them off..

..and a risk to eyes so wear goggles :rolleyes:

...and a height risk so use scaffold :rolleyes:

...and ear protection :rolleyes:

Ken, if you can possibly remove the tiles around each bracket, you can crowbar the bracket off, otherwise your idea of a grinder would make it easier.

My lads use a grinder. Probably done around 3,430 houses so far and no houses have been burnt down yet ;)

Sponsored Links
There is a distinct fire risk and I am sure insurance companies will say the same when you try to claim one day, It's nice to hear you and "your lads" take this into consideration when working on clients homes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back