Guys: Is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A quote from technical literature on MK's site:

3. Types of fault current.

In an installation different types of fault current can occur. MK offer RCDs to suit these conditions.

Sentry Type AC RCDs are suitable for situations where there are residual sinusoidal alternating currents,whether applied suddenly or rising slowly. This is the most commonly used type of RCD in the UK.

Sentry Type A RCDs (i.e. pulsating d.c. fault current sensitive) are suitable for situations where there are residual sinusoidal alternating currents, whether suddenly applied or slowly rising.
These situations can occur with the use of semiconductor devices in modern electrical and electronic equipment, such as computers, printers, plotters, televisions, video cassette recorders and hi-fi equipment, is growing.

Such devices may result in the normal sinusoidal a.c. waveform generated by the mains electrical supply being ‘modified’. for example, the waveform may be rectified or, as in asymmetric phase control devices, the waveform may be chopped.

The resulting waveforms are said to contain a pulsating d.c. component
as illustrated below.

Pulsating d.c. fault current sensitive RCDs.

Should a waveform containing a pulsating d.c. component develop an earth fault, then it is possible that it may not be detected by an “a.c. only” sensitive RCD. For this reason, the Sentry range contains RCDs designed to be sensitive to pulsating d.c. fault currents thus maintaining the intended degree of protection.

Type B RCDs are suitable for situations where there are residual sinusoidal alternating currents, residual pulsating direct currents and smooth d.c. and a.c. residual current of various frequencies, which would
not trip Type AC or A RCDs.

These situations can occur in 50Hz a.c. installations with electronic equipment, e.g. frequency converters, UPS installations, power supply unit or high-frequency power converters.

It lists "residual sinusoidal alternating currents" for both type AC and type A, but makes no mention in the blurb for Type A (other than at the beginning) of the pulsating DC fault current.

When you get to Type B, it mentions "residual sinusoidal alternating currents, residual pulsating direct currents and smooth d.c. and a.c. residual current of various frequencies"

Should it be as follows:

Type AC: residual sinusoidal alternating currents.

Type A: residual sinusoidal alternating currents and residual pulsating direct currents.

Type B: residual sinusoidal alternating currents, residual pulsating direct currents and smooth d.c. and a.c. residual current of various frequencies.???

Please help, for having read MK's tech blurb, I am now confused as to what I thought was the truth......

While I'm here, do ALL PV installs NEED Type B RCD's??

And what about sockets for charging EV's??

Sponsored Links
Had an interesting conversation with a geezer at the IET today. They are chewing over some amendments to the regs with regard to the addition of regs regarding EV's.

Please help, for having read MK's tech blurb, I am now confused as to what I thought was the truth......
Since no-one else has yet responded, FWIW my understanding (which also seems to correspond with common sense) was the same as yours - and I agree that the MK blurb does not seem to be saying quite that (or, at least, not clearly).

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back