gx53 led downlights a pain - alternatives?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have some gx53 recessed downlights in my kitchen (megaman fittings) but I find them very frustrating in that the LED bulbs are only lasting about 9 months, and they're quite expensive to replace.
Before I buy any more bulbs, does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative?
Does anyone know of any larger diameter gu10 fittings for example that would fit in (and cover up) the larger 90mm diameter hole that the GX53 fittings have been installed in?
Thank you in advance for your time.

Sponsored Links
Make the holes larger and fit lights which take PL type CFLs.

PL_downlight.jpg

Or if you want LED, make the holes larger and fit something from a reputable manufacturer who is primarily focussed on the commercial market - people buying lights to put in places where they need scaffolding towers to replace the bulbs aren't keen on ones which are unreliable.

e.g. the Thorn Base LED

8e463799-7352-4fbe-be74-e0bbebd98496.jpeg

If they are decent lamps, from a reputable maker, there must be something not right with the environment.

I have found that making up a "kit" of a downlight+an LED lamp is rarely the best interms of lifetime.
It is better to buy an integrated fitting like THESE . They come with a 5 year warranty.

Thanks for the replies.
The fittings are megaman so should be sound.
The bulbs are lite-tech, so I'm not familiar with them.
In terms of the environment, it's pretty tame. Not hot or cold. Not damp or humid. I'm at a loss really.
Another suggestion has been to use a backing plate and go to a standard gu10 fitting? Not sure that'll look great though.
Has anyone used the thorn base juniors? They look quite neat. Any idea on price??
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know of any larger diameter gu10 fittings for example that would fit in (and cover up) the larger 90mm diameter hole that the GX53 fittings have been installed in?

If you dont mind the look of them "eyeball" downlights tend to use larger holes

Though as above Id also prefer all in one fittings

Thanks chaps. I'm going to try and get hold of a thorn baseled junior to have a look at, as that seems to be almost a direct replacement for what I have in terms of diameter and lumen.
the concept of an "all in one" is a bit alien to me as an amateur, but does make sense.
Thank you all.[/u]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back