Gym on second floor made of block and beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I’m new to this forum but thought I’d try and see whether anyone can help advise me please?

I’m installing a home gym on a second floor (in the roof space).

the floor is block and beam.

I’m not looking at crazy weight - probably with all the equipment maybe about 700kg in a room that’s 30ft by 12ft. The house was built in about 2016.

Should I be concerned this may be too heavy?

Any advice very gratefully received!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any load bearing walls you can leverage? You will almost certainly need to strengthen the floor. It won't be designed to take you + 700kg.

Thanks for your reply...

Three of the walls are exterior walls and I think the other may also be loadbearing.

In terms of weight, it will be distributed roughly like this:

- rack c.180Kg without user
- cross trainer c.150Kg without user on it
- machine c. 210kg without user on it

I didn’t think this sounded too bad but I just don’t know and obviously when you add a user (not small) to a 150Kg machine, it’s quite a bit of weight.

Sponsored Links
Do you have any photos of the loft area? The chances are you 2016 house will have a loft designed solely to hold the roof up and take some suitcases etc. They don't tend to over engineer them. If you want to avoid getting cooked in the summer and frozen in the winter, you need think of it more like a loft conversion. Also have you thought about getting the kit up there?

What about a garden room home gym - do you have space for that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back