Gyproc Readymix Joint Cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently stripped of the wallpaper in my hallway and used gyproc readymix joint cement to go over the walls to give it a nice smooth slight textured surface prior to painting. The walls were rubbed down and pva applied once the wallpaper was removed prior to applying the joint cement compound.

A few questions if you don't mind answering.

1)How long does this stuff normally take to dry?

2) After applying the second coat I'm noticing quite a few hairline cracks appearing most probably due to shrinkgae, what the best way to fill the cracks?

3) What grade sandpaper should I use to rub this down prior to painting?

I decided to use this because I know someone else who used it and their walls felt very smooth and textured which is the type of finish I'm trying to acheive, but if it goes tits up due to shrinkage would it be ok to apply 2 coats of multi finish on top of it?

Currently tbh my walls looks abit of a mess so I've ordered a wall sander to be delivered so I can rub it down.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why did you pva it, Ive used buckets of the stuff on all sorts if surfaces and not used anything under it.Ive never seen cracks in it either.
Being premixed it dries by evaporation so pva can slow it down .
You can spray the surface with a mist spray and go over it with a grouting float to take off high spots and feather edges which saves a bit of sanding.
Have a look at Mirka and abranet sheets that give virtually dust free sanding. Not sure what the textured bit your refering to is about unless its the paint thats been applied . https://www.toolstation.com/mirka-dust-extraction-handy-sander-kit/p86220

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back