Gypwall - adding to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've stripped by en-suite down to install a new shower and WC etc... The tiles took the plaster off so I decided to reboard. The walls are Gypwall (the house is 18 years old) and when I measured there is just one vertical brace at 90cm apart and 1 vertical about 150cm up from the floor. Looking at Aquaboard it says it needs fixing at max 450mm centres so I reckon I need another upright? (correct me if I am wrong please)

Is it possible to you slide in another Gypwall C Stud into the space without major reconstrcution and secure it? Also, as the horizontals are the wrong height, will a framing channel be strong enough or should I add additional studs across?

It wasnt the best in the first place, when i removed the tiles I found that the shower tray was a 1200mm one and the gap is 1150.. so the delicately cut the plasterboard (with a hammer by the look of it ) and left a 10mm gap above the tray so the tiles floated only being attached to the top of the plasterboard. It seemes to work and probably wouldnt have noticed if I hadn't done this.

Cheers for any help and advise.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back