Sealing agap before tiling ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SEALING A GAP ?
where the plasterboard meets the aquaboard the tiles havent been cut and placed in that corner yet. I have noticed that there is a small gap of about 2-4mm between the pb and the aquaboard. Before these tiles are put in, should i seal this gap? And if so , how?

Waterproof tape? If tape, do it too it in a L shape, (half of the tape on one wall half on the other) ? would tape stop the tiles sticking properly ?

Or silicon? If so, do it do in the gap or over the gap.

GROUTING

I then understand that once tiles are in we grout the vertical line where the aquaboard and pb meet and then sand down a little and silicon.

Finally, my understanding is you dont grout between the shower tray and tile, only silicon in between with a narrow nozzell and then silicon again on the outside line weith a larger nozzle tube.?

Sponsored Links
where the plasterboard meets the aquaboard the tiles havent been cut and placed in that corner yet. I have noticed that there is a small gap of about 2-4mm between the pb and the aquaboard. Before these tiles are put in, should i seal this gap? And if so , how?

Waterproof tape? If tape, do it too it in a L shape, (half of the tape on one wall half on the other) ? would tape stop the tiles sticking properly ?
How come you have aquapanel and plasterboard meeting in a corner? If you need water resistant plasterboard on one wall, why not on the adjacent wall? :confused:

I then understand that once tiles are in we grout the vertical line where the aquaboard and pb meet and then sand down a little and silicon.
No. Don't grout the vertical joint - just silicone it.

Finally, my understanding is you dont grout between the shower tray and tile, only silicon in between with a narrow nozzell and then silicon again on the outside line weith a larger nozzle tube.?
You don't silicone twice after you have tiled. You can seal the bath/shower tray to the wall with silicone, then tile and then seal the tiles to the bath/shower tray.

it was a cock up by the builder and now the tiles are on. we r solving it by using stone sealant, then microflex then more stone sealant then we r using aqua max grout oclourant to seal the grout waterproof. not ideal but hey.the tiles are up to 13mm thick so it will be packed with grout. :(

so anyway what do i do with this 2-4mm gap on the vertical before we tile? seal it somehow ?

Vertical line
I was told it was better to have both, perhaps u right.

Shower tray
the shower tray wasnt siliconed to the wall thats why im asking for alternatives.. there is a 3mm gap enough to get a nozzle in i was intending to pack it internally and then seal the outside also. we may even be able to get the nozzle to the back. fingers crossed.

it was a cock up by the builder and now the tiles are on. we r solving it by using stone sealant, then microflex then more stone sealant then we r using aqua max grout oclourant to seal the grout waterproof. not ideal but hey.the tiles are up to 13mm thick so it will be packed with grout. :(

so anyway what do i do with this 2-4mm gap on the vertical before we tile? seal it somehow ?

Vertical line
I was told it was better to have both, perhaps u right.
There's no "perhaps" about it. ;)

Shower tray
the shower tray wasnt siliconed to the wall thats why im asking for alternatives.. there is a 3mm gap enough to get a nozzle in i was intending to pack it internally and then seal the outside also. we may even be able to get the nozzle to the back. fingers crossed.
That's fine.

Sponsored Links
The plot thickens the PITT techincal helpline says:
Bear inmind these are 100x100 tiles 13mm thick, so they end up witth quite a bit of grout / silicone...

MOVABLE JOINT
"Packing an entire vertical line with silicone on thick joints allows no movement for the tile. with silicone its about keeping the flexibiliity." He basically says that the best option is to pack it with something like insulation foam and use a thin layer of silicone on top. Second best is grout with silicone on top (but grout could crack). Worst is big wedge of silicone.

SHOWER TRAY
For the line between shower tray and tile he again says people make the mistake of wedging this with silicone and its the incorrect thing to do. It should either be empty and silicone on the external or again packed with insulation foam and sealed to allow movement.

Pitt training is on 01782 566 166 , i spoke to puaul there.

Ok, what you failed to mention is that:
1. your tiles are 100mm x 100mm - in which case you really want to be tanking the walls.
2. your tiles were 13mm thick.

I think we may be at slightly crossed purposes here - I was referring to sealing the gap between the tiles - not the gap between plasterboard and aquapanel. In your case you would be using the tape in the tanking kit to cover the corner joint.
If you tile the walls correctly, you should be left with a gap at the corner of about 2 or 3mm. If you then run a bead of silicone down this gap and smooth out with your finger, you will not be "packing the an entire vertical line with silicone" because it won't make it that far into the gap.
This said, I don't see any problem if you were to pack the joint fully. Did paul happen to mention what could potentially happen if you fully packed a vertical joint with silicone?

What you specifically do not want around a shower area is any excessive movement, and the silicone I suggested using for holding the shower tray to the wall will firm up the corner joint and tie things together. A thin bead of silicone will seal the tile/tray joint, but it can't cope with much movement. If there's more movement than the silicone can cope with, then it will separate from the tile or tray and you'll end up with leaks.

my apolagies, i hope u have all the info necessary...

we r fixing a few oversights later on in the game. the tiles are up, so tanking isnt a possibility. the only thing in our favour is we havent sealed or grouted yet. At up to 13mm thick they should slow down any water getting through. using easypoxy (which we have now decided on) with microseal and a good stone sealant should help also.

GAP
2-3mm gap where aquaboard meeting plasterboard - this corner area hasnt yet been tiled. This gap is due to old walls meets new board, not a lot of room for tanking tape there as its only the cut tiles of the corner that arent in place. tape needs about 100mm i believe. perhaps silicone will do it ?

shower tray - likewise no seal was placed between tray and walls. some people have said we should pack silicone INTO the gap between tile and tray, whilst others say it should only go on the external (visiable)

wwe're getting there hopefully
thanks for any help ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back