H07RN-F water resistant, waterproof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on cables suitable for the garden (SWA to junction boxes above ground and then IP68 gand and short waterproof cable to light fittings required).

I had thought H07RN-F was a tough, rubber cable suitable for 'outdoors' type applications where the cable may see a bit of wear and a bit of water and was 'water resistant' (but should not be submerged for long periods). I also thought H07RN8-F was the waterproof version as used for cables burried in the ground (likely to be wet for long periods) and lights / pumps in ponds, etc.

However this site
http://lapplimited.lappgroup.com/pr...s/harsh-conditions/rubber-cables/h07rn-f.html
lists a H07RN-F enhanced version that seems to be waterproof (AD8 test) to 100m and the datasheet marks it with a 'waterproof' symbol whereas the standard H07RN-F and also the H07RN8-F don't get the waterproof mark.

This site http://www.cablechoiceguide.co.uk/cables/rubber-cables/h07rn8-f/ then tells me that H07RN8-F isn't really waterproof: "Temporary use in water: a maximum of 2 weeks at a time (transversely waterproof), subsequent drying-out required."

I'm now confused as to what the markings actually mean. Ok manufacturers' datasheets should be the deciding factor, but I don't see how to easily check what I have, or what I buy is suitable, can anyone shed any light please?

Sponsored Links
If you look at the table - //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:harmonized-wire-code - you'll see that the codes only describe the construction of the cable.

The manufacturers data sheets are the only place you can find out if Brand A cable is "fully waterproof".

I don't see how to easily check what I have, or what I buy is suitable
By buying cable made by a manufacturer who says it has the characteristics you want.

Thanks, I guess I had been assuming that the construction of the cable, including materials used, would lead to a certain performance level - such as being waterproof for example. However it appears that's not the case.

I'm a bit concerned that when I have something like below, or even have it delivered that I'm not 100% sure they have sent me the correct cable, or haven't simply substituted manufacturers, etc. I guess I just have to live with that.

600731_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back