H21 new gas network

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You may not have heard of this, I've posted it in the inner sanctum but it's going to affect you at some point or most of you ....here's a link

https://www.northerngasnetworks.co.uk/event/h21-launches-national/

A massive project will be a logistical nightmare ....but here's the suprising bit....... I looked in to the part dealing with appliance conversion .......its saying it's going to be appliance replacement and it's not expensive and it's easy .....a boiler can be swapped in 2.5 hours ( British Gas give you a day ).

It likens it to the change from town gas ( coal gas ) to north sea gas but that was easy injectors and primary aeration and most people in the sixties only had cooker and gas fires ....Central heating wasn't the norm.
The point I'm really making g is the flippancy on the conversion or replacement makes it sound very very easy because we've done it before !!!!! No we haven't not like this you can't swap a boiler in 2.5 hours. Full drain down gas tightness tests, making sure the stop tap works. Commissioning it after its fitted . Who ever wrote this nonsense about the work in a house not being expensive and it's straight forward as all boilers have a standard hanging jig is an idiot !!

If you didn't know it makes it sound easy after all we've done it before !!!!! No we haven't not like this and it didn't involve exchanging appliances !!!!!

Sponsored Links
By the time it happens, gas networks will probably be back under public ownership.

In the current scheme, the cost of such an "improvement" will be added to the value of assets on which the company is allowed to make a return by increasing the prices.

I'd read that Leeds was to be used as a pilot scheme for this, but that looks to be far more ambitious.

Another issue is that many rural households are off the gas grid, and use far more carbon intensive heating systems (eg. oil). This needs tackling sooner.

Many households will have to be fully electric as a result. Given the National Grid is also decarbonising, this isn't too much of an issue in the big scheme of things.

What does concern me is what of commercial and old building with old boilers? What of large industrial boilers that run on gas? Such things take a number of years to replace (planning etc.)

Sponsored Links
You may not have heard of this, I've posted it in the inner sanctum but it's going to affect you at some point or most of you ....here's a link

https://www.northerngasnetworks.co.uk/event/h21-launches-national/

A massive project will be a logistical nightmare ....but here's the suprising bit....... I looked in to the part dealing with appliance conversion .......its saying it's going to be appliance replacement and it's not expensive and it's easy .....a boiler can be swapped in 2.5 hours ( British Gas give you a day ).

It likens it to the change from town gas ( coal gas ) to north sea gas but that was easy injectors and primary aeration and most people in the sixties only had cooker and gas fires ....Central heating wasn't the norm.
The point I'm really making g is the flippancy on the conversion or replacement makes it sound very very easy because we've done it before !!!!! No we haven't not like this you can't swap a boiler in 2.5 hours. Full drain down gas tightness tests, making sure the stop tap works. Commissioning it after its fitted . Who ever wrote this nonsense about the work in a house not being expensive and it's straight forward as all boilers have a standard hanging jig is an idiot !!

If you didn't know it makes it sound easy after all we've done it before !!!!! No we haven't not like this and it didn't involve exchanging appliances !!!!!

Yet Brexit is way harder, way bigger, way more impactful and you want that done.

:rolleyes:

This conversion is a piece of cake, lets get on with it, out means out, out with the old.

Perhaps we should just decide to rip out the old network by, say, 31st October, and make a clean break.

Somebody is sure to find some way of planning and implementing a replacement.

Aren't they?

I'd read that Leeds was to be used as a pilot scheme for this, but that looks to be far more ambitious.

Another issue is that many rural households are off the gas grid, and use far more carbon intensive heating systems (eg. oil). This needs tackling sooner.

Many households will have to be fully electric as a result. Given the National Grid is also decarbonising, this isn't too much of an issue in the big scheme of things.

What does concern me is what of commercial and old building with old boilers? What of large industrial boilers that run on gas? Such things take a number of years to replace (planning etc.)

In the report they envisage just replacing the burners on the big commercial stuff. My concern is the flippant way they think it's going to be cheap for households to convert ! Oh madam your Falcon six thousand pound cooker needs replacing ! Mrs ********** your £68,000 La cornue is now scrap .....

Every house will need new boilers or gas fires !

Yet Brexit is way harder, way bigger, way more impactful and you want that done.

:rolleyes:

This conversion is a piece of cake, lets get on with it, out means out, out with the old.

There speaks a man who is clearly clueless.

Maybe fusion will save us, it's only 10 years away... as was said in the 60's 70's 80's 90's etc.....

Then again, maybe planet earth will be a lot better if we all buggered off.

Converting just one town to Hydrogen fuel will be an expensive nightmare. I am old enough to have experienced the conversion from town gas to North Sea gas. That went quite well but then in those days health and safety rules were not so restrictive and common sense could be used

Maybe the money would be better spent on this wonderful solution that was so often promoted by Warmsoks :mrgreen:

This Hydrogen change smacks heavily of a "Committee" decision.

Old one but? a Camel is a horse designed by a committee?

A load of well meaning, ill informed " Green " tree lovers? perhaps??

Sponsored Links
Back