Hacking off render

Hpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am going to need to hack off the render on my house. It is cracked and has had new wall ties.

Can anyone recommend the best tools, bits, method to do it? I hacked off a small area with a budget small breaker and it was very slow and chipped the bricks quite badly.

Any advice would be great

Sponsored Links
Hammer and bolster. If it don't come off with that, then it shouldn't be coming off.

Thread Hijack!

How important is render? I am planning at some point to replace our painted pebble dash with monocouche to match the extension.
To save some money I thought to hack the pebble dash off slowly myself (I need the exercise too!).
9 inch brick walls. Is there any problem with leaving the brickwork bare for months ... could be a long time before it's rendered. Maybe all winter then get the rendering done in spring?

Sponsored Links
well, yeah, that's what I thought! Why did people pebble dash houses in the 30s?

To make them look nice. Bricks were a bit limited in style back in the day due to costs and shortages.

Makes sense. Although I think dodgy bricks would look nicer than the crap I have all over my house at the moment!

If it don't come off with that, then it shouldn't be coming off.
There was a period during the 1950's or so, that they really knew how to mix render and get it on the wall as tight as a drum. I have no idea of the methods used but it would not have involved the heavily beaten, frothy additive ridden rubbish you see falling off walls today.

Hammer and bolster. If it don't come off with that, then it shouldn't be coming off.

I understand the theory here but there’s lots of horizontal cracking where the original wall ties failed so I feel hacking the render off is the only option. It is indeed quite well stuck but surely there’s a faster way than hammer and bolster?

Can't you locally gouge and patch it, then go over the top of it all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back