Had unvented cylinder fitted - a few questions

Sponsored Links
Yup, I'd be getting someone in that's G3/UHW qualified and get him to once over it and provide a report. Can guarantee there will be a least 2 or 3 critical faults with that installation and then get the installer back in and ask him to put the faults right.

If he's not going to or not able to notify it then trading standards would be the first port of call IMO as he is selling services he's not qualified to sell.

Sponsored Links
Being pedantic...... He may be qualified, but also incompetent

Indeed .... Very true ... tho with him not notifying the install and being gas safe he could use that system to register the install. If he doesn't then it would more point towards him not being qualified rather than incompetent I would think.

Right I've got a proper G3 registered engineer coming to look this evening and tell me what's wrong with it. He's already said it sounds like it needs to be condemned!

Not sure whether to give the guy who fitted an opportunity to put it right. He is coming back to do some work at the neighbours tomorrow so could collar him then, and produce the list of f' ups and say it needs putting right or ill report you. Or I go in all guns blazing to trading standards, building control and gas safe, and see what (if anything) they can do.

So in law you have to give him a chance to rectify the problems before you can demand a refund or get someone else to fix it at his expense. But you can't let him work on it because he doesn't have the right qualifications (apparently). "Rectify the problem" might mean "get qualified".

If I were you, I'd report him immediately to everyone you can think of - Gas Safe, trading standards, maybe HSE?, and YOUR NEIGHBOURS. Then I'd pay someone else to fix it, and realistically not expect to get any of that money refunded :(.

After discussions with my mate - yes, I will be reporting him to everyone.
3 dangerous points for starters - lack of 2 port valve, undersized D2 pipe, D2 pipe exits wall at high level next to back door (and points towards back door) rather than at ground level caged off. And of course not registered with building control. And based on all of the above he probably isn't G3 qualified, because of how bad the install is, and that there's no mention of unvented on his Gas safe profile.

I will suggest to him that he needs to subcontract this to somebody who knows what they are doing to put it right. As far as I know next door haven't paid him yet (and they've had 2 bathroom refits done too) so if I club together with them maybe we can apply leverage that way. I'm more than prepared to go to court over this, in conjunction with next door if need be.

Is there a tundish? It wasn't visible in the pics, IIRC.

Is there a tundish? It wasn't visible in the pics, IIRC.
No...one of the many things missing.
Have just downloaded the installation manual (as it was missing - installer ignored the bit that says 'this must be completed and given to the homeowner') and highlighted all the bits that are missing/incorrect and cross referenced with photos ready for the authorities...

I think you may have trouble in enforcing your 15 (?) year warranty ;)

Well...gave him the benefit of the doubt and he's sorted it now.
2 port valve fitted and wired in,
Tundish fitted to discharge pipe,
Discharge pipe routed to low level and caged off.
He's also sent pictures of him registering it via gas safe site.

Next doors cylinder is going to get the same treatment as it was fitted exactly the same as mine.

Have also advised him to read up on the regs and/or attend a refresher course considering I seemed to know more about them than him

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back