Hairline crack in lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post, but a long time lurker on the forum.

Currently having our first house replastered and moved onto the living room, we have noticed a hairline crack in the lintel behind the old plaster when we broke it away.

For reference, the lintel is 2.8m long and there is a wood frame window/door in the opening currently, the house is ex council, suspect around 70s.

I assume it's been like that for a long time as the house hasn't been touched in years, all artex, old backboiler and 80s/90s patterned wallpaper etc. Plasterer reckons it'll be fine, just curious on other opinions.

Many thanks.
IMG20230327100413.jpg
IMG20230327100407.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would take judgement based on the scenario - i.e what is it supporting above - just a small amount of brickwork and another big window or opening above? or a big flank of brickwork? Is the lintel just the internal leaf and can you see similar on external leaf? Is it supporting floor load and joists or are they running paralel to the lintel etc.

I would take judgement based on the scenario - i.e what is it supporting above - just a small amount of brickwork and another big window or opening above? or a big flank of brickwork? Is the lintel just the internal leaf and can you see similar on external leaf? Is it supporting floor load and joists or are they running paralel to the lintel etc.
Thank for the reply, the outside of the house has some kind of rendering so cannot see that side of the lintel but the render has no signs of cracking in it.

It will be supporting a section of bricks and then the upstairs bedroom window, joists are running parallel left to right of the house and not front to back so isn't support any joists. I've had the floorboards taken up upstairs to check that.

Thanks

Agree with above. Make a (informed) decision based on the potential outcome of a collapse. I've seen plenty of cracked lintels but in all cases a collapse wouldn't have been catastrophic.

Not wanting to worry you but my Brother was a contract manager for a volume house builder. 10 or so years ago he showed me photos of a hallway and stairwell in a new 3 storey house which had collapsed overnight, caused by a concrete lintel giving way. So it does happen.

Sponsored Links
Personally id leave it be, if you are not touching the windows or doors underneath and just re plastering. But if you are redoing the doors and windows below, nows the time whilst also got the plaster off to swap out the lintel for peace of mind.

Personally id leave it be, if you are not touching the windows or doors underneath and just re plastering. But if you are redoing the doors and windows below, nows the time whilst also got the plaster off to swap out the lintel for peace of mind.
This is our first house and was an absolute wreck, think 90s artex and patterned wallpaper everywhere, pink bathroom etc! So we won't be changing that window for a while yet. It steps into a conservatory/lean-to thing in the back garden which I want taken down but obviously not yet.

I think once we're living in it and rest of the house is done hopefully next year, we'll rip that lean-to down, get French doors fitted along with that lintel replaced, odd way round to do it I know.

Thanks

Common to see cracks in a lintel.
I've thought about running grinder along 15mm deep and filling with epoxy resin.
Not sure that will do anything to improve situation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back