Hairline cracks in slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my bid to take over this part of the forum with all my garden related queries here is a bit of a worrying one - well worrying to me anyway!!

Background info : Patio has been down 3 or 4 weeks now - all seems very solid (laid on 3-4 inches MOT and 2-3 inches sand/cement) Slabs are 600x600 concrete, laid with 5mm or so gap brushed in with kiln dried sand.

Slabs are 2 shades of same type - light coloured ones as a border, and slightly darker ones in the middle - the slabs are obviously part of seperate batches.

Anyway noticed yesterday a hairline crack on about 3 of the lighter slabs. It starts about half way along one edge and extends about 8 or nine inches in towards the middle, not quite at 90 degrees but almost. Now these slabs don't seem to move at all or anything like that.

Today when out in garden I noticed 2 more (so 5 in total) with almost exactly the same crack in almost exactly the same place. Coincidentally 3 affected slabs are in a row, the other 2 a few slabs away (not in part of same row)

I reckon to myself I got part of a bad or damaged batch for this same crack to appear multiple times - does that sound feasible? I did reject and put aside one or two of the same coloured slabs because they had a similar crack that was noticable before laying. None of these showed any signs though at that point.

I was thinking of moaning to builders merchant but not sure how receptive they will be. I also paid for these to be put down (and they seem to be down very well) so would have to pay for remedial works.

Any advice? Does it sound like dodgy slabs? WHat should I do to ensure I have comeback if more go the same way? Could it be change in temperature / moisture conditions that is suddenly bringing this to light?

Cheers.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Breezer - do you mean lift them to see whats underneath or was that a joke!!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I can't flip them over as in permanently - the 2 sides are different.

Sorry - I have seen some of your dry humor elsewhere on the forum hence the question (I have no objection to dry humor BTW!!)

Do you reckon the builders merchant will tell me to get lost? I have spent quite a lot with them (over £2.5k) as bought absolutely everything for garden pretty much in the one place so I was hoping that might count for something.

chilluk said:
I can't flip them over as in permanently - the 2 sides are different.

turn them all over then :LOL:

but seriously, do lift the affected ones if nothing obvious you could try and take them back, but do point out they are all "going" in the same place

Called Builders Merchants - they are going to get a rep out from the manufacturers. Fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back