Laying paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've asked someone to lay some paving slabs, he said you have to use 2 inches of sharp sand underneath each slab? does this sound right?

also what do you use to fill in the lines down the middle of the slabs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
that sounds right if you want them to have moved and be unlevel in a few years time, with all the pointing cracking.

Sub-base of mot, then lay on a wet mortar bed (Not 5 dabs of mortar). Point in between with a damp mix of mortar.

....as we have said many, many times................................zzzzzzzzzzz

that sounds right if you want them to have moved and be unlevel in a few years time, with all the pointing cracking.

Sub-base of mot, then lay on a wet mortar bed (Not 5 dabs of mortar). Point in between with a damp mix of mortar.

Thanks for your reply, after reading your comments i've decided to cancel the person doing it, but could you tell me which is the best way to lay Marshall saxon paving slabs, as i would like to have a go myself.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
lay a bed of mot granular material 75mm deep minimum (for foot traffic). compact it with a plate compactor

lay slabs on a wet mix of mortar, ie the same way as you would bricks

point with a damp mix of mortar.

thats basically it. if you need more in depth then have a look through the pages on the forum, and come back if you need anymore specific help.

lay a bed of mot granular material 75mm deep minimum (for foot traffic). compact it with a plate compactor

lay slabs on a wet mix of mortar, ie the same way as you would bricks

point with a damp mix of mortar.

thats basically it. if you need more in depth then have a look through the pages on the forum, and come back if you need anymore specific help.

Hi,
Thanks for your help, Just a few things, Is this the right stuff to put underneath the slabs? http://www.wickes.co.uk/Granular-Sub-Base-MOT1/invt/224665 as I was told to use sharp sand?

to make mortar mix is it just cement and sharp sand mixed?

also whats the best way to cut 600x600 slabs? I've seen a few people on here say use an angle grinder? but whats the different bewtween these 2, there the same price

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87881/Power-Tools/Grinders/DeWalt-D28113-GB-230V-4-Angle-Grinder

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30446/Power-Tools/Grinders/DeWalt-D28113-LX-110V-4-Angle-Grinder

What one is best?

Thanks for your help.

That MOT is fine. Dont use a ed of sharp sand. A Moretar bed can be 4 or 5 to 1 sand to cement. Personally I like a mix of sharp (for "body" ie crack resistance) and building sand (for workability). Saxon is great at grabbing mortar stains as it is very rough, so make sure you clean up as you spill any (a wet sponge dabbed on)

As for the choice of grinder, they look the same except one is 240V and one is 110 - the latter will need a transformer, and is ususally used by pros on site as they are safer, though I am no sparky. So, go for the 240 version of the 2 if I were you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back