Hairline cracks - normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am coming to the end of a complete renovation of the ground floor - dividing rooms / opening up rooms / new kitchen / new downstairs toilet etc and I have a couple of questions regarding hairline cracks in paint.

There seems to be a couple of hairline cracks between the coving and the ceiling as well as on a new stud wall. They aren’t major, but I want to know if they are normal? We paid our builder (family friend) to do the decorating based on a word of mouth recommendation. We are happy with pretty much everything else he has done. I don’t want to seem picky by approaching him about something that is normal, but at the same time, if it’s not normal then I’ll need to speak to him about it.

I can confirm that the plaster had approximately 4 weeks to dry out before a watered down coat and paint was applied.

I’d appreciate any responses, even if they are to tell me this is completely normal.

Sorry for the photos not being the best quality but you should be able to make out the cracks if you zoom in.

Thank you :)

C7FCC7AC-C4D5-44E0-BB41-7FBB1751D537.jpeg 5737B7CA-7AE9-4900-AD85-F726F116847B.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It's not unusual.
I use geocel caulk because I find it very flexible, but despite that new plaster and new stud walls are prone to movement for a while, then they settle.
Stud walls without a double joist support, so built on floorboards, will alway move up and down a few mm, enough to crack the ceiling line every couple of years.
I remember testing an area with plumbers gold in my house, but i can't remember where (n)

I can confirm that the plaster had approximately 4 weeks to dry out before a watered down coat and paint was applied

Totally normal.

It is probably shrinkage of the new timber studwork causing it.

Plasterboard fitted to ceilings and studwork always moves a bit.
The most likely place for cracking is where the walls and ceilings meet.

The only thing done wrong is they should have advised you shrinkage cracks are both likely and typical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back