Hairline cracks on 6 month old skimmed walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an early 20th century house and I had my living room walls and ceilings skimmed at the end of last summer. That was done on the original plaster after I had removed the wallpaper. The walls and ceilings seemed to have been properly PVAed before skimming with branded plaster.

Now, after 6 months or so, and after redecorating throughout (using waterbased emulsion), long and very fine cracks have appeared across the walls and the ceiling throughout the room.

Were the cracks to be expected? If so, shall I leave it and perhaps fill them one day and apply a new coat of paint?

Thank you in advance for any reply.

Sponsored Links
I have given up/refused to do any more 'skimming' on walls that are lime based, to me its like putting an egg shell around plastercine (sic).

Not much help I know, best bet would be to line the walls with a heavy gauge lining paper and paint that. (IMHO)

Sponsored Links
Almost as much as they expect from Comb-Overs :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back