halagen lights don't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help. My daughters lights in her room suddenly went off all together so I assumed it was the transformer and bought a new one but must have wired it up incorrectly. When I switched the switch on there was a flash at the transformer and everything tripped. I rewired it correctly and tested that there was power going in and power going out of the transformer and also there was power getting to the light holder as I tested this with a magic wand tester. The lights still don't work and I don't know what to do next. The bulbs haven't blown I was wondering if the transformer wasn't dropping the power to the correct voltage.

Anyone please help
Bob

Sponsored Links
You can't do any useful tests with a "magic wand".

Did you connect 240 Volts to the transformer output? If so I doubt it will have survived.

Not if the lights are ELV and connected to the now knackered tranny

Sponsored Links
must have wired it up incorrectly.

The only way you could have done that is the connect the 230v supply to the 12v output. If you did, then you'll need another transformer.
They don't like it up 'em Mr Mainwairing!

Just as an aside, are the light controlled by a standard light switch, or a dimmer? Dimmers do tend to die after a while.

But you could just change everything, and hope for the best.
Or ditch the magic wand and get a multimeter or a two-prong test device and do some proper fault finding.

must have wired it up incorrectly.

The only way you could have done that is the connect the 230v supply to the 12v output. If you did, then you'll need another transformer.
They don't like it up 'em Mr Mainwairing!

Just as an aside, are the light controlled by a standard light switch, or a dimmer? Dimmers do tend to die after a while.

But you could just change everything, and hope for the best.
Or ditch the magic wand and get a multimeter or a two-prong test device and do some proper fault finding.

Thanks everyone now sorted it was the transformer that had blown.(wired up back to front)

For future reference most magic wands dont work on low voltage and never rely on it being accurate. Use a multimeter or similar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back