Half cold rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My rads are relatively modern but the pipework is ancient 9mm. Each rad is supplied by individual flow/return pipes rather than off a circuit. There's a massive manifold in the airing cupboard with pipes galore coming off it.
The living room rad is the furthest away, and never really heats up properly other than the very top. The middle gets warm. The bottom stays cold.
I've got used to that and lived with it but having some time thought I'd see if I can improve things.
I assume that either there is sludge etc at the bottom of the rad (the system was flushed around 10 years ago when some other rads were replaced) or the distance + narrow pipework mean hot water struggles to get there.
Does that sound reasonable or could there be another reason?
Yesterday I realised the pump can be adjusted. It was on '2' and I've increased it to '3' which does seem to have improved the rad somewhat.
Any other suggestions would be gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
have you bleed the radiators and removed all the air
AND also balanced the system.

I have the micro bore and a manifold in the cupboard
And once i bleed all the radiators and balanced, I had a much better overall heat across all the radiators

Yes bled - and hot at top.
Sorry - must be 8mm. It's tiny!
I thought you could only bleed a system on a circuit? I Will give that a try on boxing day.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back