Hall and landing light - keeps tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I am having a hard time connecting the wires to the switches (well i can connect them, but when i turn the switch they 'pop' the circuit, lol!)

Can anyone take a look at the pics and give me the right connections?

ta!!

Sponsored Links
lol, you lot are too quick!!! I made the post while my pics are uploading, give me a minute!!!

Mind you, you are going to look a tw@t when i edit my post to put the pics in.

Why the pics were there all the time!!!

i came close! I have tried different things from these forums, but i keep getting 'pop!'

OK, i am lost here............

Sponsored Links
as you look at the pic, the right hand side wire is for the downstairs. I can get the downstairs to work with the downstairs switch and the upstairs to work with the upstairs switch, but when i press the downstairs for the upstairs, the downstairs circut breaker pops.

*holds head in hands*

Have you changed anything else (like the light fitting?) or have you only removed this faceplate?

ok, i have connected the earth to the plate (thanks for the tip!)

Connected the 1 x red with link to the top single terminals.

Connected black - downstairs light working.

connected other 2 into other switch - upstairs light switch for upstairs light works, downstairs switch for upstairs light casues the downstairs MCB to blow.

frick, i was hoping you wouldn't say that!! When we fitted the upstairs one, we tried it and it was all working. We then sunk the plate in the wall and painted/masked around it. To take it out, means a lot of re-doing work to put it back again :(

I will speak with wifey tonight and see if she wants it taking out or if we live without the ability of turning on upstairs from downstairs; lol!!

We then sunk the plate in the wall and painted/masked around it. To take it out, means a lot of re-doing work to put it back again :(

I suspect it got damaged at that point. Take the cover off and look for any cuts in the cable from the pattress while you were pushing it in or a wire trapped under a screw.

downstairs switch for upstairs light casues the downstairs MCB to blow.

Either you have used a cpc as a strapper and the other end is grounded, or you have a short to earth from one of the strappers.

Tell me, do you have any pictures hanging above either of the light switches?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back