hall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I recently got my own place, and prior to actually moving in had to get someone in to rip the ceiling plasterboard out (asbestos). I've had to redo the studwork in the hall because the old stuff was flapping around (badly nailed in to hollow concrete blocks. Pics of what I've done attached. The hall is about 14 feet long, just under 3 feet wide and the studwork used to be three really long pieces of 2x2 running the whole length of the room and a couple of bits at the end running the width. It's in a ground floor flat. I'm guessing in theory I should have told building control, or does it count as repair if the previous stuff was pretty bad?! If I do tell them about it then from what I gather they want at least £120 just to come out and say yeah it's ok/no it's not. What I've done is way more secure than what was there. I've used treated wood (prevents rot) and the spacing if anything is a bit less than it was as I've attached the main long pieces to a joist instead of having it right up against the wall. I've clipped the electrical cable every 20-30cm securely to the wood (previously it was not clipped to anything). There is a pic of a large cable going up through the ceiling - the flat upstairs main feed to their consumer unit I think, I've also clipped this in place. View media item 28494 View media item 28495 View media item 28493

Sponsored Links
Youve put some of those clips very close to the edges of the blocks.. make sure they are secure or your ceiling may drop down and squish the cat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back