Replacing Ceiling, what to do with Dangling Electric Cables?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the ceiling in the hall. Since I removed the old ceiling there's a lot of electrical cables dangling which will be in the way when I put up the new ceiling.

I could cable-clip them to the joist sides, but I don't like that idea because it will make it difficult in the future for anyone trying to do electrical work on the floor above.

I've thought about using a staple gun and supporting the cables with fishing line.

What do plasterers usually do in this situation?

Sponsored Links
I could cable-clip them to the joist sides, but I don't like that idea because it will make it difficult in the future for anyone trying to do electrical work on the floor above.
This. If someone is doing some future work on the electrics they will be able to get the cables out of the clips without much difficulty.

Just fix some bits of batten (old laths work fine or bits of slating batten skew screwed/nailed) between the joists to support the cables while you're boarding.

Make up some 'bridges' the width of the gap, from some 30mm x 30mm, (or similar size, doesn't need to be accurate). Nail/glue a small block of wood underneath to form the legs. 20mm x 20mm will suffice. Now insert the 'bridge from below by pushing it up against the cables so it is in between the joists, about 25mm up. These will support the cables out the way and make it easier for an electrician at a future date. No need to bother with clips/staples/fishing line.

Just seen OBND's similar suggestion. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If someone is doing some future work on the electrics they will be able to get the cables out of the clips without much difficulty.
Someone working upstairs in the future would need to lift a lot of floorboards just to access a single run of clips - because the boards run across the joists.

Just fix some bits of batten (old laths work fine or bits of slating batten skew screwed/nailed) between the joists to support the cables while you're boarding.
I think I will use OBND's skewed nail/screw method as it sounds the simplest ...

Now insert the 'bridge from below by pushing it up against the cables so it is in between the joists, about 25mm up.
... but I'll also do as Conny suggests and lift it up about 25mm - so the bridges don't become barriers to someone trying to lay a new cable from upstairs in the future.

Thanks everyone.

Someone working upstairs in the future would need to lift a lot of floorboards just to access a single run of clips - because the boards run across the joists.

I think I will use OBND's skewed nail/screw method as it sounds the simplest ...

... but I'll also do as Conny suggests and lift it up about 25mm - so the bridges don't become barriers to someone trying to lay a new cable from upstairs in the future.

Thanks everyone.
@conny s method also has the advantage of keeping the cables away from any future random screws, drill bits, holesaws etc :)

Clip them half way up the timbers.

Why would anybody want to access the clips in future?

Why would anybody want to access the clips in future?
To be able to move the cable when working from the floor above. Any cables clipped in position are effectively there for life - or until someone either replaces the ceiling again or removes a lot of floorboards.

Reasons for doing so could be:

- When tee'ing into an existing cable, you need that cable to have a few centimetres of flexibility so you can strip back the cores for a junction box etc. You won't get that flexibility from a clipped cable.
- When adding/removing circuits, it gives you the chance to remove and reuse existing cable.

There may be others.

To be able to move the cable when working from the floor above. Any cables clipped in position are effectively there for life - or until someone either replaces the ceiling again or removes a lot of floorboards.
Nope

Using nothing but my bare hand, I can free cable from its clips even if I can only reach a few inches of it.

And on average, installed cables need to be moved zero times per 50 year life.

Using nothing but my bare hand, I can free cable from its clips even if I can only reach a few inches of it.

And on average, installed cables need to be moved zero times per 50 year life.

Well... clipping would certainly be easier for me, and I have a lot of clips available.

So unless someone can suggest a reason not to, I think I'll switch to JohnD's advice and clip them.

A few months ago I helped a friend with his house refurbishment.
The electrician was doing a full rewrite and removed 40 year old cables clipped to the joists.
They looked like new.
Why would anyone need to do electrical work on a stretch of cable without joints?
As long as there's some slack at ceiling rose, a cable would never be moved.
So if I were you I would just clip them.
Keep them in the middle of the joists so to minimise the risk of anyone damaging them with a screw or nail.

A 150mm cut of 1mm 3c+e, turned into a loop with a clout nail through it into the joist. Can get a few cables through it, and can easily pull replacements through.

Thanks phatboy, that's given me a similar idea. While I don't like to waste electrical cable, I do have free access to cable ties. So I think I'll nail them in the centre of the joists then loop them round the cables loosely (1 or 2 clicks).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back