Do i have to clip cable in the void ceiling and floorboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can clarify for me.

I am moving a lightswitch from one side of a stud wall to another. Lifting a floorboard from above i can see the original switching cable has been clipped to one side of the joists.

Having decided to run new switch cable from the ceiling rose to the new switch (unable to extract original cable without destroying half the decorated walls) do i have to clip the new cable to the beams or can i just lay it on the floor of the ceiling below - there are no pipes or other electrical cables in the void i intend to use. This would save me having to lift half the floor.

I can see that additional wiring has been added to the property since the initial electrical install and this new cable has just been laid along the ceiling floor.

Sponsored Links
It will be fine unclipped.
If you are adding new cables into partition walls you may need RCD protection too.

Just took another look at the void and my original post was wrong

There is a shower cable laid across the floor and CH/HW pipes running parallel.

Is it still acceptable to run cable without being clipped in this void

Sponsored Links
not the question you asked, but the CH pipes should be insulated with Climaflex or similar. You can slit it and push it along the pipe from your access point. If the cables touch the hot pipes their life will be greatly reduced, as the PVC cable insulation will age and become brittle. If there is any pressure against the pipe it the insulation will first soften from heat and the wires may come through it.

Even if the cables are just laid in a hot void, the extra heat will shorten their life and (especially if you have an electric shower) their current carrying capacity will be reduced and the cable may overheat from the electrical current. There are calculation tables of heat, cable life, and current capacity which I will not bore you with (or bother looking up) but it is quite dramatic

Cables should be under hot pipes, not on top, and definitely never trapped between a pipe and a joist or floorboard.

sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back