Should cables above ceiling be clipped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my kitchen ceiling replaced so have taken down the plasterboard. All the cables above are now hanging down and will be in the way of the plasterer when he puts up the new ceiling. Should I clip them to the joists to keep them out of his way or use some other method so they can still be pulled through between lifted floorboards if ever needed?

Sponsored Links
They don't have to be clipped.

Just rest them on some plastic brackets or some wooden noggins so they are out of the way of plasterboard screws.

Plasterer or not, All cables should be supported. Get that hammer out and make them nice and tidy.
>50mm from the ceiling is the recommended place.

The last thing you want is a great sheet of plasterboard trapping your cables on to a joist.

I have previously used small lengths of 1mm 3c+e, looped and attached to the beams with a clout nail, worked well and less nailing if there are multiple cables running the same direction

Sponsored Links
Plasterer or not, All cables should be supported. Get that hammer out and make them nice and tidy.
>50mm from the ceiling is the recommended place.

The last thing you want is a great sheet of plasterboard trapping your cables on to a joist.

The cables aren't supported as they are replacements put in above an original ceiling by lifting some floor boards above and pulling them through. So presumably it's not bad practice to support them in such a way that they can't be pulled through again?

I have previously used small lengths of 1mm 3c+e, looped and attached to the beams with a clout nail, worked well and less nailing if there are multiple cables running the same direction
Plan B:

Use the correct materials you cowboy.

Cables are meant to be used as cables, not gash supports for them.

They make proper cable clips designed for the job of supporting cables.

Cables are meant to be used as cables, not gash supports for them.

They make proper cable clips designed for the job of supporting cables.

Cable clips made from plastic that melts, and a nail?

My approach provides a metal retainer, covered in plastic, with a larger nail.

I'll be happy to address any further nonsense on the matter....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back