Halogen downlights loose connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a number of halogen downlights (12v 50w) which are causing me some grief. Some of the lamps goes out, and when I go to change them, they come back on again by wiggling the pins in the connection (i.e. the ceramic bit). I have tried different makes of bulb, all to no effect. The fittings are less than 18 months old, and they all seem to do it intermittently. Any suggestions (ideally not to change the fittings, as we have about 30!)

Sponsored Links
Replace the lampholders (the 'ceramic bit'), and if the lamps are dichroics, replace them with aluminium reflector types.

Any suggestions
Yes - get rid of them all, and install proper lights.

(ideally not to change the fittings,
Getting rid of them, and installing lights actually designed to light rooms is the ideal.

as we have about 30!)
1500W of lighting.....

Has your house got something like 6 bedrooms, 3 reception rooms, study, large entrance hall and large kitchen?

Because that's what you could light with 1500W...

You're back in cloud cookoo land again.

The op has come here asking how to repair their lights. Do you really think sugarh2k is going to take out all the downlighters just because you don't like them?

Or, do you think sugarh2k will just replace the lampholders as previously suggested and keep the existing lights?

There is nothing to say that they arn't the absoloutly perfect light for sugarh2k's taste, and they do a good job of lighting a room, despite your protests.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back