Halogen lamps in bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom has 6 halogen lamps in the ceiling, the ceiling gets quite wet when we use the shower so i'm going to get an extractor fitted to remove a lot of the steam that the shower emits. My qustion is; in the loft the lamps are sticking out of the plaster board with no loft insulation covering them what so ever, i really need the loft space above the bathroom lagged, but is it safe to just lay the insulation over the part of the lamps that are sticking thru the plaster board? Only been in here 10mths and its one prob after another!

Sponsored Links
No, don't put the lagging over the lamps. Use hoods or some other method to leave clear space above the lamps with the lagging going around. Lag over the top and the lamps will overheat; at best they'll burn out very quickly (and expensively), at worst they'll damage the lagging - I've found black, crispy lagging above lights in such situations, can't be good.

PJ

Your bathroom downlights must be the type that are sealed. Otherwise the lamp will draw all that moisture up and into the loft where it will sit and fester on your roof timbers. And they will rot.

If your lamps are not sealed then you should install something like these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLALC724.html

They provide a moisture prevention facility and you can throw all your insulation over the top of them.

Sponsored Links
The lamps are Philips GU10 if thats any use. Thanks for all the replies guys, i'm now going to buy some caps and install them before the onset of cold weather.

It's not the lamps, it's the fittings. They need to comply with Building Regulations Part C - resistance to moisture.

Do yourself a favor and remove the lights/fitting. Reboard the ceiling and replaster. Have a centre bathroom light fitting which will be bright enough. Have a fan fitted.Then supply insulation above the bathroom to a min. of 270mm.

Not doing the above now will only cause problems later on.

Andy

What would you build the enclosures out of? Plasterboard, screwed together with the edges sealed with silicone?

I ask as my bathroom has 5 downlighters and the insulation has had holes ripped around each light. Each light currently has an LED bulb so gives off next to no light, but at some stage, someone may put a 50w heating device in there,.

Plasterboard would be an ideal material.

If you can be rsed to do all that to save the price of the OTS caps...

I literally have nothing better to do tomorrow morning and it help clear out the plasterboard odds and ends i've accumulated in my garage.... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back