Halogen Light Bulbs + Loft Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a new house 12 months or so ago.

The spare bedroom has 4 x halogen light bulbs in the ceiling. The loft insulation covered the bulbs and transformers which seemed like a fire hazard to me (and wasnt noticed during the survery for some reason). I've moved the loft insulation away from the lights (about 30cm or so) but now have parts of the ceiling uninsulated.

Would the following do the trick?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLALC724.html

Is it just a case of fitting these and laying the insulation over the caps?

PS plan is to get rid of the things long term as I despise them. Waiting for the missus to return to work after maternity leave. Lack of money at present :cry:

Sponsored Links
Yes they will do the trick. Make sure you try and put the transformers on top of the insulation. Not that critical if they are electronic but important if wire-wound. Hope that helps.

Some downlighters are fire rated and allow insulation to be laid over them.
But the hoods are a good idea, it will allow any excess heat to dissipate better.

Sponsored Links
thanks, would be very surprised if the previous owner spent the extra money on fire rated lights. ill cover with caps and then insulate ensuring transformers are kept above the insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back