another halogen down light situation in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a bit of advise. After buying my house recently I noticed that the halogen downlights in the ceiling do not have any cover on at the back of the lights. In other words, the supply goes into the lights and are just covered so the insulation in the loft covers the lights meaning that in the lights become hot , there could be a fire in th eloft from the insulation catching alight. Is this the case. Was thinking of getting some sort of cover for the lights to put over the back of them in the loft?

Any takers?

Sponsored Links
Firstly, insulation is not flammable.

but it should not be covering the lights - pull holes in it where the lights are so they hot air can vent up.

don't bother with covers.

Also ensure the transformer is well away from the lamp and also uncovered, most have thermal protection (a good thing) so if they get hot they cut out.

Sponsored Links
delmel said:
Also ensure the transformer is well away from the lamp and also uncovered, most have thermal protection (a good thing) so if they get hot they cut out.

Make sure that transformer and holes in the insulation over lamps CANNOT be covered accidently ( by something thrown up through the loft access hatch )

Consider mounting the transformer(s) on a metal plate to dissipate the heat better. I have used a aluminium sheet 12 in by 6 inch bent into a L shape and screwed to a joist to give an 11 in by 6 inch vertical plate per transformer.

Bernard
Sharnbrook
UK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back