Lights - create "Morning has broken"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice please :

I have six halogen downlights situated in my bathroom, the loft is directly above. The trouble is, if I go into the loft it is like "morning has broken" and that's without turning the light on in the loft! This is happening because the bathroom lights don't have any safety covers on and obviously the insulation is no longer there as the electrician has thrown the insulation to one side - I wonder why !!!

What should I do :

Replace the insulation with the holes cut out for the lights.

Buy special covers for the lights.

Comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You COULD Get special covers (fire resistant - although they will probably still let the light through)!! The reason the insulation has been removed is because due to the heat of the lamps (and their transformers if SELV) , it represents a fire hazard - and would you rather have 'Morning Has Broken' , or 'Burn in Hell'??

Alternatively if you wish to keep your insulation, then you could box around the lights with timber and drill some holes in the tops to ventilate the lights , but you must allow a certain gap to allow the heat to escape from the light fittings.

Once you have boxed them in, you can re-insulate across most of your bathroom loftspace , but leave the tops of your new boxes uncovered.

Most people are happy to have some form of light in their loft, after all, it saves getting a torch!!! If its not bothering you, then leave it as it is!!

Shona said:
Some advice please :

I have six halogen downlights situated in my bathroom, the loft is directly above. The trouble is, if I go into the loft it is like "morning has broken" and that's without turning the light on in the loft! This is happening because the bathroom lights don't have any safety covers on and obviously the insulation is no longer there as the electrician has thrown the insulation to one side - I wonder why !!!
So do I - that's in contravention of the Building Regulations.

What should I do :

Replace the insulation with the holes cut out for the lights.

Buy special covers for the lights.
You need to re-instate the level of insulation that you had before. I doubt if you'll be able to find covers of the right size (ignore any daft suggestions about using upturned flowerpots...... :rolleyes: ).

Find out from the manufacturer what clearances the luminaires need, and knock together some enclosures out of ply or MDF and cover with the insulation.

Sponsored Links
One of my customers followed the suggestion of uptrurned flowerpots in his own house.
No not terracotta - little plastic one`s .
He`s a builder too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back