Which bathroom lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought about having combineded spot light/extrator fan + 3 more spots light in my new bathroom.
Should they be the transformer type or direct off the lighting circuit.
Also do they have to be vented in the loft as its a new extension the loft space has to have 250mm loft insulation

nyck

Sponsored Links
12v (extra low voltage) in bathroom

get decent lamps (osram / philips as they last longer)

use a good qulaity tranny and light fitting - i use JCC lights and have had no problems

remember to bond to latest regs if you are doing work in the bathroom

and don't forget part P if you live south of the border
:D

The trouble with downlighters is that they are cr@p at actually lighting things up, unless you use a large number, which makes them very expensive to run.

I've got a single Strata light (http://www.hib.co.uk/lighting.html ) on the ceiling of my bathroom. Takes a 100W GLS (the cheapest lamp money can buy) and lights up the room a treat. Looks great, too.

Add wall lights on a dimmer if you want a softer alternative available.

PS:
baldelectrician said:
This is not essential once you're outside Zone 1, so if you find some mains luminaires you prefer, go ahead.

yeah but no but ...

if you put in new mains lights shirley (don't call me shirley !) you have to go with all the rcd protection far better to go selv i say

if you use decent lamps light output isn't a problem

Sponsored Links
baldelectrician said:
get decent lamps (osram / philips as they last longer)
use a good qulaity tranny and light fitting - i use JCC lights and have had no problems
remember to bond to latest regs if you are doing work in the bathroom
and don't forget part P if you live south of the border
if you put in new mains lights shirley (don't call me shirley !) you have to go with all the rcd protection far better to go selv i say
Why are you mixing "Separated Extra Low Voltage" with bonding?

An RCD is not needed for bathroom lights, it is not even needed fora shower, although it is a 'good thing' to have one.
however you will need Xbonding between the lighjtiung circuit earth and the bathroom metalwork, 12V lights or 240, bonding still needed.

My point is SELV lights offer protection against direct & indirect contact by a SELV source, not EEBAD. The 12V AC side of the transformer (and light fittings) must remain separated from earth.
Extraneous conductive parts and exposed conductive parts still require supplementary bonding together for EEBAD.

just a addition

when i got my SELECT asessment i hadn't bonded the lighting circuit as they were selv.

i was informed the lighting should be bonded regardless of selv or not.

baldelectrician said:
just a addition

when i got my SELECT asessment i hadn't bonded the lighting circuit as they were selv.

i was informed the lighting should be bonded regardless of selv or not.

If the lights are SELV (Separated Extra Low Voltage) then by bonding them to ELV circuits they are no longer SELV since the S stands for Separated. Who informed you of that ?
I was informed of this by BS7671, Regs 411-02-05, 411-02-07, 411-05-08

So why supplementary bond from items in a special location (a bathroom) to items outside the special location, I assume you are installing the transformer outside the bathroom? Won't the CPC of the lighting circuit be adequate for EEBAD of the transformer supply? It is arguable as wether to or not to supplementary bond a pull cord light switch as it depends if the switch part of it is in a zone, more often than not it is mounted higher than 2.25m above the floor and further than 0.6m away from the bath/shower basin hence does not need supplementary bonded either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back