Halogen light with LED lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have decided that we quite like these lights
https://www.next.co.uk/style/st132278/818334#818334

When I read the bumf it says to use halogen G4 lamps, this is putting us off slightly as why would we be using / why are they selling halogen when LED's are becoming the norm!?
I have already bought the dimmer switches https://www.screwfix.com/p/variligh...6bMu24KdVnXZen-6MKkaAm-xEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.dsthat I have successfully used elsewhere in the house with LED's.

Can you see any problem of buying this light and just using LED's? They don't come with lamps so easy to do by the look of it.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't see why not if they otherwise fit, don't know about compatibility with dimmers.

Blup

Yeah I did read that there can be buzzing / flickering issues sometimes with LED's. I thought the more sophisticated dimmers might cope with this!?
Anybody any experience of this?

Halogen G4s are 12 volt and run via a type of transformer, this would need confirming it will run Led lamps as well as even being Dimmable,(Apparently it is) but is it compatible with your Dimmer

Sponsored Links
Can you see any problem of buying this light and just using LED's?
LEDs overheating and premature failure is very likely.

G4 LEDs have to be very small to actually fit into the lampholders and are not exactly long lasting even in the best of circumstances.
With that style, heat will be retained by the glass shades and the LEDs will run far hotter than if in open air or an open top shade.

With a quartz lamp there needs to be some thing to stop hot bits being ejected when the bulb fails causing a fire, so there is always a glass barrier. The result is lamps like the G4 and G9 have to be small enough to fit inside the barrier, although when going to LED you no longer need the glass barrier, removing it will change the appearance of the lamp. (also needs glass barrier to stop UV light)

So with G9 for example you can get these G9-small.jpg which will fit in the glass globe, but have no or little smoothing or leak resistors, or these G9-big.jpg that will not allow the glass globe to be fitted, but have smoothing capacitors and leak resistors.

LED's are DC, but an LED package can be AC or DC, and where it uses a current limiting capacitor not only must it be AC but AC at 50 Hz.

I looked at advent and it says very little,
we recommend a 14W G4 halogen bulb
says very little, looking at part number Height 3cm, Width 9cm, Depth 9cm. Typical LED (L)36 mm x (Dia)10 mm so longer and wider to quartz, but likely would still fit. But there are two types of transformer, a toroidal transformer and an electronic transformer, the toroidal is more expensive, has 50 Hz output, can go down to zero output, are heavy, unlikely to work with a dimming switch, so unlikely to be fitted to this lamp, the electronic type have a Mhz output, will often not go to zero output, and can often be dimmed, however you should not dim quartz lamps as it reduces their life.

So if you want to dim lights, do not use very small bulbs, do not use quartz, and better if not using extra low voltage, so in the main looking at E14, E27, or BA22d bulbs. GU10 are on the edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back