halogen uplighters

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two halogen uplighters. They are the father and child design with the child part being an ELV lamp on a dimmer. These work absolutely fine.

However both the halogen uplights (230v) have stopped working. Its not the lamps and when i measure at the lamp terminals they have 230 v (238 to be precise) It has this whether the dimmer is off or at any point in its turning cycle.

Lack of experience here but i am guessing this means the dimmer (s) have gone to the great dimmer in the sky. Or is it anything else. The bit i dont understand is if i have voltage at the terminals why arent the lamps working. I would have thought they would just remain full on.

Sponsored Links
The dimmer is broken.
The voltage you can measure doesn't really prove anything - measurements with a high impedance voltmeter are often misleading. Likely that the voltage reduces to nothing when a load is connected.

Either replace the dimmer, or open the dimmer up and bypass the dimming part, so it is just using the on/off switch.

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
It's not just the very tip of the lampholder pins which have become charred or even burned away preventing proper contact with the ends of the lamp?

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
Sponsored Links
The dimmer is broken.
The voltage you can measure doesn't really prove anything - measurements with a high impedance voltmeter are often misleading. Likely that the voltage reduces to nothing when a load is connected.

Either replace the dimmer, or open the dimmer up and bypass the dimming part, so it is just using the on/off switch.

Yes i thought that once the load was connected it probably shut something down in the dimmer. Thanks you.ve confirmed my thoughts.

RF I did check all the contacts and theyre good as new and i checked the "tension" across the terminals and that was all ok.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back