halogens keep going out on my kitchen lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've got 2 strip lights each with 4 halogen bulbs on (50w). Ever since installing them I've had a very short life from the bulbs and find myself constantly replacing them. I've had an electrician in to check the current and the wiring and he has found no faults.

I decided to replace the bulbs with LED's which frankly aren;t very good and I'm still finding that they aren't lasting long.

I suppose my next move is to replace the light units themselves but I just wanted to ask to se if anyone has had a simialr problem or might know the route of the problem.

Thanks,

Solly

Sponsored Links
Where were the light fittings from? And what brand if applicable.

What brand halogen lamps are you using? What brand LEDs?

It does make a difference.

Also, do you have the equipment and ability to test the voltage to the fittings?

I don't have the ability to test teh voltage but the leccy who came last week did and he said they were fine.

The lights themselves were from John Lewis, these ones http://www.johnlewis.com/230650043/Product.aspx?SearchTerm=RecentlyViewedList

I just use Tesco halogens, at first the normal ones and then the saver ones which both appear to last the same.

The LED's are rubbish and they're from ebay.

I just use Tesco halogens, at first the normal ones and then the saver ones which both appear to last the same.
Try using GE/Osram/Phillips lamps. As Steve says, it does make a difference.

Sponsored Links

The LED's are rubbish and they're from ebay.
This could be your problem.

How much did you pay for the LEDs? If they were about a fiver and have about 10+ LEDs on each capsule, they wont be any good. The good LEDs are Luxeon ones, with 1 or 3 high-powered LEDs. These have better light spread and colour and brightness than the cheap 21-LED ones. But expect to pay about £20 each, even on ebay.

Tesco halogens will be made by a company that knocks out 500 for a tenner. Give them a wide berth. Go down B&Q and try an Osram, Philips or GE lamp. Again, you will pay more, but they will last longer.

Out of itnerest, before you fitted these 400 watts of halogen bars, what wattage of lighting did you have in the kitchen?

Also bear in mind, you have 8 lamps. You will have to change them 8 times as often as if you had 1 lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back