Halstead boiler hot CH cold water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been having major problems with my boiler for two weeks. The Central Heating works fine, apart from the radiators get a bit too hot. The hot water however is very intermittent. Runs cold and won't come hot until we've reset it. And even then it's not guaranteed. It has flashed a overheat cut out sign on last week. We got British Gas out twice. The first time they gave it a power flush, the second time fitted a new gas pipe downstairs this helped slightly but now it's acting up again! Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
How much have you paid BG so far?

At their charges a new boiler would probably have been better value and only costs less than £2000 in most cases even with a good quality boiler.

Your boiler is a budget model and not very reliable at all. Not helped because those who choose budget boilers also choose budget installers who don't clean the system properly.

Ton y

we're on homecare - boilers about 5 years old and done well so far, considering how much it's used (a lot)

Their cover normally excludes and problems caused by dirt.

Power flushing is not usually done free and is charged at about £600 !

Sponsored Links
I'll query it with them today, it was a flush of some sort as they said they were getting rid of the sludge build up caused by limescale ( we aren't in a hardwater area).

The problem seems to be worse in the morning, after we've had the heating on during longer period of it being off. The radiators come on hot, but then when it's turned off, the water is cold. Would a low flow rate cause this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back