Halstead Finest PCB Failed again?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Had an engineer replace the PCB back in 2009 and have recently had a worsening fault with the boiler locking out intermittently. It occurs for both HW and CH.

An engineer has been out again who first replaced a switch but that did not cure the fault. He then was called back out and was looking through the manual with my brother (excellent with electrics and studying electronics engineering at Plymouth University) and they both came to the conclusion that the PCB is shot again.

My insurance policy has reached the limit as I am covered up to £250 per claim. They have requested I pay an additional £311 if I want the boiler fixed.

The PCB online are approx £50 refurbed, are these likely to be as good as a brand new unit? Also, do I need to replace the ignition electrode kit as these were also replaced 2009.

Also wondering if a CORGI registered engineer has to replace the PCB or whether my brother would be competent to do this himself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

The boiler just randomly locks out, sometimes after only minimal use and other times after good use.

Have spoken to the insurers and agreed to purchase the PCB privately and then submit my receipts up to the value of £100 to fit - very happy!

Managed to get a brand new PCB on Ebay for £56 posted and it is the 'revised' version. Fitted and fires up first time everytime!

Any idea what changes were made from the Halstead 500585 PCB to the more recent 988468 one?

Just over 3 years of use out of the old PCB seems a little poor?

Sponsored Links
Managed to get a brand new PCB on Ebay for £56 posted and it is the 'revised' version. Fitted and fires up first time everytime!

Any idea what changes were made from the Halstead 500585 PCB to the more recent 988468 one?

Just over 3 years of use out of the old PCB seems a little poor?

Check on other faults that could be causing the problem.
Fan beginning to fail. Pump. If not you will be replacing the PCB pretty soon
again.
Items like fan, faulty electrodes etc on certain boilers can take out the PCB.
Of course if you had an Ideal Isar you'd think you had done well as most of their boards only last 2 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back