Halsted Quattro Boiler Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Does anyone have experience with a Halstead Quattro Boiler. I'm an Electrical Engineer to trade and know where to draw the line with other trades skills, but am looking for a little bit of advice before purchasing a £300 part

Question.
My Domestic Heating and Hot water is off due to the Burner not fireing up. 1. The pump switches on 2. The fan assembly is running. 3 The electronic ignition is operating , i can see the blue spark but no ignition takes place.

240vAC is supplied to the Gas Valve coil but i don't think there is any gas out of this block. The part is a Honeywell Gas Control valve with a modulator control. This is the area where i stop and get a Corgi Registered Engineer to replace it. Question is do you Heating engineers think this is highly likely to be a sucsses replacing this Gas Valve. It is quite expensive to diagnose the problem wrong but cheaper than a Boiler replacement. Any advice appriciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi All

Any heating engineers out there? Any advice appreciated

Thanks

You should never even think of fitting a gas valve if not gas certificated.

Pay a good engineer to diagnose the fault for you.

Or get a British Gas fixed price repair!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi all
I had no intention to carry out this work but was hoping you guys would be able to agree that this part was at fault before I purchase it. I have a gas engineer at the ready but he didn't like to commit to the work just in case other parts were needed. Just you guys would be able to confirm it's the likely problem

Thanks

You need to get a proper engineer with diagnostic skills who is confident enough of his abilities to NOT charge you for parts which he has wrongly diagnosed.

But you will not get that without paying for the diagnosis.

There is only one place to diagnose a fault and that's in front of the boiler with your test equipment.

Your guy ( assuming he exists ) does not seem to have that confidence.

But whats wrong with a BG fixed price repair?

Tony

Thanks tony

Assuming he exists is rather rude. It's supposed to be a helpful forum. Like all engineering problems the first fix may lead to another faulty component. All he was doing was trying to make sure the cost was kept to a minimum since he is a golfing friend. For the record he's ex British Gas retired without a usual van load of spares to call upon.

Well if he is retired then he is no longer gas registered and would be working illegally for you.

Quite apart from that he will not have any public liability insurance!

Being retired, it seems unlikely that he will take financial responsibility for wrongly diagnosing your boiler fault.

BG engineers have something of a reputation for parts changing rather than carefully diagnosing faults.

The forum rules ( which you are deemed to have read and agreed to by posting here ) very clearly state that we cannot give advice on gas matters! To hep you its even shown in red along the top!

One of the ploys often used by DIYers here is to pretend that they are asking on behalf of a gas registered friend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back