Handbasins too low?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise if this seems like a rant, but it's an issue that has caused me much annoyance not to mention physical pain... in disabled toilets... why do they put the sink so low?

I know WHY they put it so low, it's obvious that if you're in a wheelchair then you can't reach as high as if you're stood on two feet. But, why do they not consider that a lot of people of reduced mobility are not in wheelchairs and are of above-average height?

I am 6'2" and have a permanent medical situation that means I have reduced flexibility in my spine. On good days I'm flexible enough you wouldn't notice anything different unless you were looking out for it, but on other days I can be more-or-less rigid from the hips up (phnarr phnarr!). On those days I find it necessary to use the disabled facilities for any "sit-down" visits so I have the grab handles and raised pan to help me. But, I then have to kneel on the floor in order to wash my hands, as I can't reach DOWN to the sink! :eek:

I've also noticed that in the regular toilets of any office building built in the last 5-10 years, the hand basins are set so low that anyone of average height or above must bend down to use them. I can appreciate that you need to cater for people below average height, but why can't they say that any washroom of 2 or more sinks must have at least one at the low height, and at least one at a greater height?

I realise that 6'2 is above average, but I'd think that anything between 5'4" and 6'6" could be regarded as a "normal" height for an adult male in the UK, and 6'7 or 6'8 isn't THAT uncommon.

Sponsored Links
I apologise if this seems like a rant, but it's an issue that has caused me much annoyance not to mention physical pain... in disabled toilets... why do they put the sink so low?

So we can wee in it. :LOL:

Sponsored Links

Take some wet-wipes with you next time Quasi. ;)

I'm always annoyed that doors don't open automatically for me, They do in some shops, and on some trains, but I'm sick and tired of banging my nose into doors that refuse to do this. I mean, what's the point in having a handle, and a door that swings open? Children could get their fingers trapped in that couldn't they? All the doors open on that documentary 'Star Trek'...

And those revolving doors, I mean what is the point? I always end up where I began.

I'm always annoyed that doors don't open automatically for me,
I like to see this on all public toilet doors, I get annoyed when people can't be bothered washing their hands and yet I got to open the door handle with their germs all over it so how do I wash my hand again outside?

I realise that 6'2 is above average
You have answered your own question, realistically if every single kind of disability was taken into account for every different type of body shape/height you\d need about 10 different basins. As mentioned, heights of facilities etc are fixed in the BR's. Simples.

I know WHY they put it so low, it's obvious that if you're in a wheelchair then you can't reach as high as if you're stood on two feet. But, why do they not consider that a lot of people of reduced mobility are not in wheelchairs and are of above-average height?

I am 6'2" and have a permanent medical situation that means I have reduced flexibility in my spine. On good days I'm flexible enough you wouldn't notice anything different unless you were looking out for it, but on other days I can be more-or-less rigid from the hips up (phnarr phnarr!). On those days I find it necessary to use the disabled facilities for any "sit-down" visits so I have the grab handles and raised pan to help me. But, I then have to kneel on the floor in order to wash my hands, as I can't reach DOWN to the sink! :eek:

I've also noticed that in the regular toilets of any office building built in the last 5-10 years, the hand basins are set so low that anyone of average height or above must bend down to use them. I can appreciate that you need to cater for people below average height, but why can't they say that any washroom of 2 or more sinks must have at least one at the low height, and at least one at a greater height?

I realise that 6'2 is above average, but I'd think that anything between 5'4" and 6'6" could be regarded as a "normal" height for an adult male in the UK, and 6'7 or 6'8 isn't THAT uncommon.
at least you wash your hands.....

I'm always annoyed that doors don't open automatically for me, They do in some shops, and on some trains, but I'm sick and tired of banging my nose into doors that refuse to do this. I mean, what's the point in having a handle, and a door that swings open? Children could get their fingers trapped in that couldn't they? All the doors open on that documentary 'Star Trek'...

And those revolving doors, I mean what is the point? I always end up where I began.

Yep,,, I love those Atomic doors. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I'm always annoyed that doors don't open automatically for me,
I like to see this on all public toilet doors, I get annoyed when people can't be bothered washing their hands and yet I got to open the door handle with their germs all over it so how do I wash my hand again outside?
376477_l.jpg

Why do people feel its un clean to not wash there hands after having a pish and not before. Most peoples hands in a normal day would have more germs on them than there is on your todger

Sponsored Links
Back