Handbrake sticking on VW LT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The handbrake on my VW LT van is sticking on. The garage fixed it for the MOT a couple of months ago (there was virtually no handbrake even at max travel on the lever). They said the mechanism was seized / sticking). It was fine initially, coming on after about 4 clicks. Since then it's got steadily worse with more and more travel to come on and not releasing properly.

Is there anything I can check underneath to free up. I've had a look in the manual and it seems a bit more complex than normal handbrakes that I've worked on before. (it's got back brake discs but with drums on the disc that the handbrake works).

Any ideas / info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Iain.

Sponsored Links
If its anything like the sprinter if you get underneath roughly in the middle you will see the hanbrake mech, these get loads of **** in them and stick, you can free it off with wd or duck oil. give it a clean spray it and keep working the hand brake and it should loosen off. hope this helps

the only real fix when the calipers start siezing is to get reconditioned ones. Try gsf for prices

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys,

I'll get under the van some time this week (if it ever dries up here in Glasgow) and see if there is anything sticking in the middle part of the mechanism.

I changed the back pads about 6 months ago and the calipers were fine and the normal braking is fine - the handbrake works some brake shoes on to drums which are behind the disc - a set-up I've no experience with.

Cheers,

Iain.

Got handbrake fixed. It was the mech seized under van. Thanks for tip skippster.

Iain.

Back