Handbuilt wooden kitchen worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found a supplier that handbuilds kitchen worktops - basically wide planks (10-20cm) that make up the full length of the worktop, finger jointed and glued together, clamped and compressed, and then sanded. So a 2000mm x 620mm x 40mm worktop would be made up of 3-4 planks attached in this way.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to make a hard-wearing and durable worktop? Only reason I'm asking is that the price is comparable to Ikea's butcher block oak worktops, and nowhere near some of the companies selling bespoke worktops online.

Sponsored Links
That's how table tops have been made since time immemorial, so that should be fine.
The durability is naturally dependent on the timber used, and it's wise to ensure that they are able to move, or float, slightly once installed.
Obviously the tops will need some sort of surface treatment, perhaps recommended by the maker.
John :)

The problem with 3-4 wide planks forming a top is that it will cup easily and would required end cap to counter this.

Sure, but you would hope the maker would glue with the cups opposing before shoving them through the planer.......
I'd be happier if the planks were closer to the 100mm width rather than 200mm though.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Went with Ikea in the end, as to get their custom worktops in time for our installation we pretty much had to order them now. Liked the idea of the wide plank worktop but couldn't quite take the risk of ordering it sight-unseen, and it's only a small part of their business so something inside me just wasn't quite 100% on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back