Handle pulled off window and frame cracked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the handle and part of the mechanism has been pulled off and part of the frame too.
Can this be repaired?
Maybe by using a metal plate ?

Attachments

• 20230309_192605.jpg
    20230309_192605.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
Window lock mechanism will need replacing and new handle.
I've fitted s few universal mechanisms as could not get exact replacement.
Metal plate over may work if you can glue and screw it well enough to hold I guess.

Wouldn't a metal plate bring the mechanism forward though, creating pressure on the internal structure, assuming it will 'almost' line up?

Thanks, Is this something I can do as a pretty good diyer or do I need to get a window repair guy to do it?

Sponsored Links
I've never come across this problem so don't really know what's involved, sorry.

You need a new handle and lock mechanism, both fairly cheap ( just replaced two of mine at about £20 for the pair ).Unscrew the handle and remove the lock, then you could glue a strip of uvpc trim over the area to repair ( redrill hole to accommodate lock spindle and screw holes) when buying a handle get one with a cam which is slightly longer than existing to pass thru the extra depth of the repair .
You may have to trim a longer cam to size if you can’t get a close match .

DIY job.

Take handle off. Few screws from outside and off comes latch. Couple of minutes job.

Look at numbers. order another.
That's the easy bit.
Metal plate is a bit more effort.

Depends If you like DIY and interested to have ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back