handrail too long for staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all first post,
im getting the house ready for our first bambino, as well as painting most of the rooms in the house im also tying up loose ends around the place, one loose end is a handrail. simple you say but not for me!

the hand rail is very long and for a flight of stairs (you dont say) its so long that i cant get it down that stair case ( long solid objects dont fit easily around sharp bends so my plaster found out!) so how do fit the handrail? i must point out that it is made of wood.
ive heard you should cut the rail in the middle at a 45 degree angle, then drill holes for wood dowls and glue back together when down the stairs, is this the right way? any other options? im dreading getting the rail to meet back up together with dowls!!
many thanks in advance :LOL:

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome fingerhitter :D :D :D :D

use 2 wooden dowels and a handrail bolt
http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetail.aspx?product=7232&subCat=49&parentCat=7/49

if you cut it exactly to length will it still not fit!!!

if its a terraced house and the handrail has to approach at right angle put it through an upstairs window as you can get more length from the top as the floor drops
now i know its the same from the bottom going up but you have less obsticles with the handrail back edge near the ceiling :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back