Hang heavy Vanity Unit on stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could do with some very simple advice please.

I have purchased a wall hung 1200mm vanity sink for the bathroom wall. It needs to be hung from a stud wall and weighs 35kg - much heavier than I thought!

The stud wall is new, not structural and separates the bedroom.

Question: is this possible?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Provided the stud wall has been built properly with a head and sole plate and the correct noggins it should be fine, you'll need to get the fixings into the studs and potentially have to add some extra noggins in the wall depending on spacings

It is quite useful to fix a piece of 18mm ply, or possibly strong battens, to the wall, screwed to at least two studs, in a position that the unit can be screwed to it, and will cover and conceal the ply. You might also conceal its edges with shelves, towel rails, a large mirror, cupboard or something.

This means that your unit fixings need not coincide with the studs.

It is easier than cutting open the wall to add noggins.

In kitchens, where there are sure to be lots of heavy cabinets, some people like to put a layer of ply on the studs during build, before the plasterboard and finish.

Last edited:
Are the studs timber or metal? Have you got a suitable OSB or plywood inside the wall? If not can you get the fixings in at the stud poacings, e.g 400mm or 600mm (they will be one or the other)? If not you will need to open the PB up and install a pattress, replace it and make hood (not that diggicult TBH). MF or timber the studs will easily carry 35kg soread over 2 or 3 studs with 3 to 4 screws per stud

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

The stud wall is only partially complete with studs and noggins exposed, so any changes are easy to make. The bathroom wall is 2m across and is timber.

Apologies but just checked but wall hung vanity is 60kg including the basin on top.

If the unit is screwed into studs with 18ply with PB ( add in more noggins) on top could this work

Big thanks in advance

Last edited:
If you can get away with just going into the studs then that will work. If you are concerned with the stiffness of the wall (possibly only an issue with 3 x 2in studding) you could always just double-up the 2 or 3 studs carrying the load, although this tends to be more of an issue with wall hung WCs (which impose a far higher load on the studwork)

11mm osb is enough

Is it? I'm surprised.

I made my shed of 18mm ply and am hanging kitchen cabs off if, some will get very heavy so I've cut steel hanging rail to spread the load.

I suppose, until I see a cabinet fall off, I won't know where the limit is.

Is it? I'm surprised.

I made my shed of 18mm ply and am hanging kitchen cabs off if, some will get very heavy so I've cut steel hanging rail to spread the load.

I suppose, until I see a cabinet fall off, I won't know where the limit is.
I've seen it used for vanities, too. It has more or less replaced 12mm plywood, although I think I'd prefer 18mm plywood TBH (or OSB of a similar thickness) which is what we still use on public buildings

Luckily I have some spare.
When there's been a shortfall of material we've been known to purloin materials from all sorts of places. Ever wondered what happens to plywood hoardings around buildings towards the end of big jobs? Waste not, want not! (but only the stuff which isn't delaminating)

When there's been a shortfall of material we've been known to purloin materials from all sorts of places. Ever wondered what happens to plywood hoardings around buildings towards the end of big jobs? Waste not, want not! (but only the stuff which isn't delaminating)
Often gets sold off as used timber .Lots online .

In reality some firms take it away and reuse it, but any money most of the people selling it aren't actually the contractors, rather they're the skip hirers or even some random bloke who just happened to turn up with a flat bed Tranny when the labourers were striking it and flashed a few quid at them. Most of the time there is nowhere to store the stuff on site by the stage it is getting struck and you just need to get the site cleared so that a street can be reopened or the like. Management often don't give a damn where it goes - as long as it goes and doesn't cost them anything to dispose of it!

All this may seem wasteful, but if somebody turns up and is willing to take away some of the waste, thus reducing skip costs, then they are happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back