Hangers 75mm joist 70mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi e everyone,
My joist hangers are 75mm wide but the joist are 70mm. What do I do? Should I pack out with 5 mms plywood so the joist is tight and then nail?
Thanks for help it is very much appreciated.
The joists are 225 x 75mms but obviously only 70mms on measurements.

Sponsored Links
I feel your pain- had similar issues with 150 x 50 which were more like 46.
Yes i shimmed mine with skim ply, hasn't fallen down yet :)
NB If these hangars are for a ceiling, consider routing the underside of the end by 4mm so the plasterboard goes up flat

Thanks, I'm on it mate but surely they should make 70mms hangers for regulators timber by now. Unless I bought the wrong ones lol.

Sponsored Links
If you hunt around you'll find hangars that are a better fit- i do wonder whether the cheapo ones are really for CLS rather than regularised.

When I did mine I vaguely remember reading that the maximum packing allowable was about 5mm (can't remember where I read it or whether that was per side or in total). I suppose it starts to affect the penetration depth of your twist nails. If you want the "right" sizes try "metro fixings", they have a good range in steps of a few mm. They even sell a 2 part hanger that fits anything:
IMG_20210205_181424898.jpg

And before you ask, they do actually make such a thing, it's not just one cut in half.

Although this is one cut in half (I think it was about £2 cheaper than buying the two halves) :
IMG_20210205_181501155.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back