Hanging 40Kg on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am weighing up the options for fixing a 37inch plasma tv on my bedroom wall.

Is it possible to hang a plasma, weighing around 40Kg including the slimline static bracket, directly onto the plasterboard using 6x Spring Toggle Anchors? The beams are in an inconvenient position otherwise i would have used these instead.

The wall is a cavity wall with no brick work to screw raw plugs into.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi, I would fix a plywood board to the wall, fixed to to the stud work, which are probably 3x2 , locating them might be a problem, but you seem to know where they are,they should only be about 18 inches apart at most, in which case you should get al least 3 anchor points.
it might not look too good, but at least it won't fall off!

just rememberd the board we used to use years ago was called Blockboard, this was a sandwich of wood and plywood, with the grain going in different directions to give strength. Nowadays mdf seem to be what is mostly supplied, cant say I have used that much.
pp

Sponsored Links
You could cut a section out and replace the plasterboard with BG Glasroc Rigidur H.
This board can take something ridiculous like 30kg off a single fixing....
You would re-finish it just like ordinary plasterboard to get your seamless wall, unlike ply which will always look like painted ply.
It eliminates the need for ply patrisses etc for hanging kit off walls, plasma screen be no problem for it.

If you are going to those lengths though, you cut cut out the plasterboard, install noggins between the joists, re plaserboard and plaster then just fix through the plasterboard to the noggins.

You could always fit two horizontal lengths of unistrut to the two nearest joists and hang the TV off the 'strut :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back