Hanging plasma TV with bracket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought this bracket:

https://www.bracketsrus.co.uk/Product/LG/50/all/all/all/TILTING-TV-WALL-BRACKET-o111-p428/

and this TV:

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/lg-50pk350-50-full-hd-plasma-tv-04877737-pdt.html

I'm going to place it over the fireplace onto a wall that is plasterboard, with around a 1" gap, followed by either brick or breeze block (I think it might be brick actually; it's an internal wall in a block of flats.

So my question is, what screws will I need to screw in the bracket? How should I screw the bracket in? Do I need to get a masonry drill and drill a hole the same length as the screw but slightly narrower? (is that how it works?) Or the same size but then use some kind of raw-plug into the brick? Could I hang it just on the plasterboard? (probably not... although it's only 25kg I think).

Any hints would be gratefully received. I know literally NADA about this stuff.

Oh! Can I hire a man to come and do it for me :p If so, how much would that cost approx and where do I look?

Sponsored Links
You should have a mounting kit with the bracket. This should contain the wall plugs and hex head screws. With the gap behind the plasterboard you will need longer screws(try b&q) use the bracket as a template(if one not provided)drill holes as instructions/fit plugs to holes and knock in so level with wall(not plasterboard)and screw bracket to wall, taking care not to over tighten screws and damage wall.

Thanks for your reply.

So if I get say 5" screws, assuming the first 1" is plasterboard + gap, I need to drill 4" into the brick? How does the drill bit size relate to the screw I'm going to fit? Do I select one the same size, or slightly larger, or slightly smaller?

Sorry for my dumb questions. This is all new to me!

Why a second post your original has been answered?
[For tv mount cut out plasterboard to match fixing plate and replace with a sheet timber to bring flush with plasterboard's surface, fix to brickwork and then you have a secure fixing for the mounting plate.]
Mounting above a fireplace is less than ideal unless you like a pain in the neck.
Centre of screen should just be above eye level when seated.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest you get someone in to do this as fixing into this type of wall is notoriously tricky for the novice DIYer. I wouldn't like to think of that lovely TV ending up on the floor!!

If you do hang it yourself then drill a hole the same diameter as the plug you are using; when the screw is tightened the plug expands thus gripping the wall tightly. I would suggest you use brown plugs with 3½ or 4inch screws. Longer screws could possibly enter the chimney cavity/flue.

1. Mark up ALL holes and drill to the depth of the screw (no deeper).
2. Put plugs onto tip of screws and tap into holes.
3. Undo screws leaving the plugs in their holes.
4. Re-insert screws through bracket holes and tighten fully.
5. Ensure bracket is solid with no movement whatsoever.
6. Fix TV to bracket as instructed.
7. Sit back and enjoy!!

Good luck.

I would suggest you get someone in to do this as fixing into this type of wall is notoriously tricky for the novice DIYer. I wouldn't like to think of that lovely TV ending up on the floor!!

You know what... I think that's what I'm going to do. A new TV is probably not the best thing to experiment and learn DIY with :p.

Thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back