Hanging a 2nd hand upvc door and frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just been given a 2nd hand upvc door with 2 large glazed panels and want to fit it to my workshop. Just need a few pointers please.

1. Do I remove glazed panels before attempting to fit frame?

2. Once frame is in place, Im pretty sure I will need to adjust the door in the frame, is this done by toe and heeling each pane and then adjusting the hinges OR can all adjustments be made via the hinges?

Basically, how should I install this door and frame! lol.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
remove the glass first.

fit it into the aperture and use the doors' lock and latch keeps as a guide for squaring the door up. you can 'dry' pack or wedge the door to help align the lock and latch.

once you are happy all is square you can then drill and fix the door.

then fix the glass. toe and heel pack to ensure the door remains square.

remove the glass first.

fit it into the aperture and use the doors' lock and latch keeps as a guide for squaring the door up. you can 'dry' pack or wedge the door to help align the lock and latch.

once you are happy all is square you can then drill and fix the door.

then fix the glass. toe and heel pack to ensure the door remains square.

Many thanks! will try fitting tomorrow weather permitting!

Sponsored Links
Have just been given a 2nd hand upvc door with 2 large glazed panels and want to fit it to my workshop.
Have you checked to ensure it's safety glass?

No.....its only a workshop....hope its ok.
I don't think so; I believe safety glass is now mandatory on all glazed doors in a domestic environment regardless of weather or not the building is subject to Building Regulations; I remember a previous post on this a while back & I'm sure others will either back this or shoot me down. Look here;

http://www.windowstoday.co.uk/glass_safe.htm

I believe there may be a statutory regulation that covers it as well.

I think it would be very unwise not to use it any case, I have a relative who walked through an untoughened glass door some time ago, not a pretty sight; 1cm further over & it could easily have killed him.

Look in the corners of the glass you should see a kite mark & a specification number, more commonly it will be BS6262; BS6206. But it could be one of the European standards EN12600; EN12150 EN ISO12543 & you may see the words “safety Glass” or “toughened glass” as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back