Hanging a door - what gap ?

M

marsaday

I am about to put in a door lining and just wanted to confirm what gap i need to leave to accomodate the door and carpet.

Is it a case of leaving 5mm on each side and at the top, but leave a larger gap at the bottom for the carpet - say 10mm?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A gap about the thickness of a 2p down each side and across the top is about right. The gap at the bottom though , depends on what flooring your having. Carpet will probably have underlay and the gap all depends what thickness of carpet and underlay your having.
I'd make the bottom gap 10mm like you say, but then you'll probably have to take a bit more off the door once the carpet fitters have been. Carpet fitters usually take doors off when laying carpet anyway. ;) ;)

2mm all round
be careful if you use cheap hinges you often only have to rebate into the frame or door not both if you do rebate both you finish up with less than 1mm clearance

i have measured my carpet and underlay and they are about 20mm think i think. it is the cloud underlay so this is 10mm.

So i think i need to allow 20mm under the door.

Sponsored Links
It's usual to take the door off whilst the carpet is being laid. When you re hang the door , you'll know exactly how much to take off the bottom so it's just skimming the pile of the carpet. ;) ;)

It's usual to take the door off whilst the carpet is being laid. When you re hang the door , you'll know exactly how much to take off the bottom so it's just skimming the pile of the carpet. ;) ;)
yep spot on jj unless its a bathroom door then 12mm is required under the door to allow warm airflow from the rest off the house to replace the extracted air

yep spot on jj unless its a bathroom door then 12mm is required under the door to allow warm airflow from the rest off the house to replace the extracted air

So big al, do you mean allow an extra 12mm for the air flow on top of that allowed for the carpet, or just 12mm in total.

Thanks

2mm all round

Worked once with a subbie who had been told to do this so that's exactly what he did i.e. worked to spec, 2mm ALL round and duely got paid. Of course floor finishes come in and surprise surprise a 2mm gap at the bottom of the door isn't big enough so the subbie gets called back and ended up charging the easing as extra work and got paid again :D

Trouble is, that type of subbie tends to get no more work from the same employer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back