Hanging a picture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section but here goes.

I have replaced the hardboard in the back of a picture and need to put hooks or something in the back of it. The existing ones in the old hardboard looked like a wheel with a cutting edge and must have been machine inserted so i have no idea if i can reuse them.

For reasons of not wishing to destroy the hardboard trying, whats the best hooks to put in the back of the hardboard? On the wall, there were just nails driven into the plaster.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not get two threaded 'eyelets', and screw one either side of the back of the FRAME, not the hardboard, tie some picture cord between the two eyelets, - then hang the thing on the wall?

Why not get two threaded 'eyelets', and screw one either side of the back of the FRAME, not the hardboard, tie some picture cord between the two eyelets, - then hang the thing on the wall?

Agreed. The hardboard isn't strong enough to hold the weight of a picture unless they have been machine fitted during manufacture.
If eyelets are not suitable, and assuming the picture has a frame and isn't just plain glass, you could use something like this:

http://www.jacksonsart.com/Brands-A..._Rings_-_8_Rings_and_Screws/product_info.html

Sponsored Links
Cheers mate. It's only temporary though, to pass the time while I'm waiting for a big lifestyle change!! :eek:

Never fear, I'm sure I'll still be reading and making the odd post in future. ;)

Thanks for the help. Yes it a wooden frame long picture. I think you guys have given me the answer i suspected which is unless they machine attached then the hardboard won't be strong enough? Eyelets sounds the way forward but that means bashing a new hole in the wall when I could just use the existing two?

GALLERY]
is the edge wide enough for an eyelet? Might split the wood as its quite narrow? You can see the previous hooks here

You might consider using mirror plates -

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=mirror+plates

I use these a lot for hanging, particularly where the frames might get knocked as they stick out if hung with eyes.

You shouldn't have a problem with the frames splitting as long as you drill proper pilot holes. The wood used is generally pretty soft so tends not to split.

Another alternative would be to use a discrete picture frame shelf on which you place the picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back